Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Whole Enchilada

Enchilada casserole is something I've been making for  many years.  I first picked it up from my Aunt Cathy, who is quiet the Mexican food expert.  Aunt Cathy does a much better job with this recipe, as mine never seems to taste the same each time around.  It is one of the most simple recipes, most casseroles are though.

So, what do you need?

1 lb.  ground beef (I substitute turkey - I don't care for red meat)
1 package taco seasoning
10 oz. enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese
4-6 tortilla shells

That's it...really.

You will find that I am pretty plain when it comes to food.  I'm not into onions, peppers, mushrooms or anything of the sort.  I usually leave those things out of any recipe I make.  However, if you're into onions and peppers, I'm sure they would be great in this casserole.  Some other things that would be a hit in this recipe: chorizo, salsa, chiles and the list continues.


Back to my plain ol' casserole. Here's what you do:

Brown the ground beef (or turkey), drain and mix in taco seasoning.  Layer the ingredients in a casserole dish.  Tonight I did: ground turkey, enchilada sauce, cheese, tortilla shell, turkey, sauce, shell, sauce, cheese.  I switch it up every time.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

That's it...really.

I usually serve the casserole with sour cream and Spanish rice, but again, that's up to you!


This is a perfect casserole if you live on your own.  It keeps for several days.  I've made it for large groups of friends, for my family and for myself to take as lunch to work.  

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a 25 year old teacher living in St. Petersburg, Florida. I have an amazing life: great family, great friends, an awesome job and the opportunity to experience a lot in life. Enjoy :)

Blogs about: